Wednesday, August 28, 2013

TOXIC BEAUTY

I am fast learning that my statement of 'you can never take your food at face value' is also applicable to just about any other product you use. This week I am learning that you can never take your beauty products at face value. I am also fast learning that to live well and kindly means you have to put in some research. But thankfully there are easy sites like Skin Deeps Cosmetic Database that does a lot of the detective work for you.

The photo above is the end result of my looking into some of the cosmetics and beauty products that I use everyday. The Cosmetic Database has collected information on thousands of products and ranks them in  3 categories: 0-2 Low Hazard, 3-6 Moderate Hazard, 7-10 High Hazard. Most of what I have are moderate, and obviously I will be looking into another lotion ASAP because I am not comfortable being a 7!

If you haven't heard much of whats going on in the industry you may be wondering why are cosmetics toxic? Chemicals known to cause cancer and birth defects are widely used to create consistency, color, and 'long-lasting' effects. And just last night Nate was telling me about face washes with 'micro beads', these beads are actually made of plastic- which are now infiltrating our water systems, being ingested by aquatic animals, and affecting everything in their path. And what do I use? A product with micro beads, naturally. So I have a long ways to go in swapping my products. 

But square one is an ok place to be- its better than being in denial or worse, complacent! I am excited to look into brands like Nvey Eco, Josie Maran, and Ilia.

Have you tried natural beauty brands and loved them? I'd love to hear about it! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment