Monday, October 28, 2013

VEGAN TEST KITCHEN

This past week I made a super food plan before grocery shopping and am trying 5 new vegan recipes! I was so excited to dive in I started with this Polenta Casserole from Alicia Silverstones book The Kind Diet this past weekend.

First of all- this was my first foray with Seitan (also known as 'wheat meat') and honestly, not a fan. I am not a fan of many imitation meat options so I am not surprised, but if you miss your meat- you will probably love this. If this not your thang- fear not, I think this recipe would be just as good in the future sans this ingredient or perhaps with beans? Something worth trying out!
You will need:
1 1/2 cups polenta
1 head of cauliflower cut into large pieces

1 cup peas

1 cup of corn

6 asparagus spears cut into 1" pieces

1 (8oz) package of seitan

1/3 cup soy milk

1 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame tahini

1 1/2 tablespoon shoyu

2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar

1/4 cup chopped parsley

tiny bit of sea salt


To Make:
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Pour cornmeal into a large pot with cauliflower chunks, salt, and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover, simmering for 30 minutes and stirring frequently. 

In a casserole dish that's 8x8 or more (I had to use an 8x8 dish PLUS another small dish), start layering! Place the seitan on the bottom of the dish and then cover with corn, then chopped asparagus.

Once the polenta has simmered for 30 minutes, remove it from heat and add tahini, milk, soy sauce, and vinegar. Mash until the mixture has the same consistency of mashed potatoes. Add parsley and thawed peas and mix well. Pour this as the next layer. Sprinkle with soy sauce. 

Put in oven and cook for 40 minutes. Let cool a bit and serve. 
Serve with a salad and you have a complete meal!

I was intimidated by a lot of ingredients in this recipe but with the help of friendly grocery workers I found everything I needed at my health food store- so be brave and try it out!

Happy Cooking! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment