Tuesday, November 19, 2013

TEST KITCHEN: VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

I had every intention of baking a vegan cake from scratch for my birthday. I really did. But then the weekend rolled around and honestly, the couch seemed more like my jam for the day than the kitchen. So my cake was from a box. However, I still wanted to share with you what would have been an amazing cake from Martha Stewart's kitchen! (so technically today's Test Kitchen is Martha's Test kitchen- I trust the Queen of all things domestic has done it right ;))

Ingredients:
3 cups organic unbleached white flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups natural cane sugar
1 cup canola oil
4 teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 2 cups water
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons cider vinegar

Directions:
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, espresso, and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a wire whisk until well incorporated. Add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter as the baking soda and vinegar react. Pour equal amounts of batter into the two cake pans and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Flip cakes onto wire racks and cool completely.
 And I thought my cake didn't turn out so shabby either- I am a sucker for pink frosting and sprinkles.

I am enjoying my first morning of being 27 flipping through photos of the last few days, practicing my yoga, drinking hot tea, and writing in my Gratefulness Journal. A perfect Tuesday morning. And I may or may not have had a slice of this for breakfast this morning, but shhh, that's between us ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment