Friday, January 10, 2014

BE LIKE THE SQUIRREL

Take all your problems And rip 'em apart,
Carry them off in a shopping cart,
And another thing you should've known from the start,
The problems in hand are lighter than at heart,
Be like the squirrel girl, be like the squirrel,
Give it a whirl girl, be like the squirrel,
And another thing you have to know in this world,
Cut up your hair, straighten your curls,
Well, your problems hide in your curls.

Today I had to face the music on something I had been putting off for awhile due to fear. As you know from Wednesdays post fear is something I am trying to face and conquer these days. All I had to do was make a tiny phone call but I had been building it up in my head for so long I felt physically ill about going through with it. And in moments where I feel so small this White Stripes song likes to pop in my head and I can't help myself but think to 'be like the squirrel girl'. 

This song may have a catchy beat but the lyrics are what really make it. We like to build up our problems into the proverbial mountain and forget that it all started as a mole hill. We psych ourselves out over the unknown instead of facing the issue and taking any small step to resolve or make it better. If you have a problem, think of any steps, no matter how small, that you can take to make it smaller and more manageable.

In times of doubt, worry, and fear its easy to forget how strong and resilient you really are. I fall victim to this as much as the next guy but I have found that a courageous mantra to myself during meditation really helps in reminding oneself of the resources inside. The next time you have something to conquer (or simply take that baby step towards) think of repeating some things like this to yourself ...
I am a strong and courageous being
I am an abundant being of resources and all I need can be found within me
There is nothing that can steal my light, my joy, my happiness
I am responsible for my own happiness and it is worth protecting
I deserve to be happy and free
I am strong, I am happy, and I am resilient
I can handle anything that comes my way

The more you think positive the smaller fears feel. The more often you think positive in your day to day the easier it will be to keep these positive thoughts at the forefront of your mind when you face some of life's darkness. The darkness is inevitable, but we are resilient beings.

Today I took a small step towards feeling some freedom from my fear, the phone call was step one but I already feel a lightness. I thought I would feel burdened or heavy but in fact I feel light, at peace, and more in charge of my situation. 
So be like the Squirrel, and rip 'em apart. Your happiness is worth it. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment