Wednesday, September 11, 2013

WHY DAYS LIKE 9/11 WILL NEVER BE THE SAME FOR ME

If you had asked me a year ago what Memorial Day, Independence Day, or even September 11 meant to me my answer would probably have been along the lines of ... Remembering and honoring the soldiers and citizens who have died for our country, some with a purpose and some seemingly mindlessly. I had two Grandfathers who served and fought in wars but I knew very little about their service. None of it seemed very close to home.

Now ask me today- in light of Syria and the anniversary of that fateful day in 2001 and ask me what it all means to me. Since my sister joined the armed forces earlier this year I now view these situations as a possibility of her having to be put in harms way. It hits way closer to home now. I find myself reading news sites (for like, the first time ever) and paying attention to the political climate when it comes to our nations policing of other countries. Because now- if we strike back, I know I risk having to say goodbye to her and praying fiercely until she comes home.

In a way- I am glad that I can now empathize better with those who have served and their families. Though I thankfully cannot even imagine the pain of losing someone in a war or national tragedy, I at least know that the life of service is a life of sacrifice. Not just for the soldier but for their families too. Most days I wish she had never signed up- I am a devout pacifist after all- but I am still proud, and in a strange way I am thankful for the insight it has given me.

So to all who have served, supported, or experienced loss,  I say a little prayer today for you.  And for the future lets pray for peace and for bringing our soldiers home. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment