Friday, October 25, 2013

THOUGHTS ON MINDFULNESS

 '... But what is Mindfulness? Mindfulness is to be aware of everything you do every day. Mindfulness is a kind of light that shines upon all your thoughts, all your feelings, all your actions, and all your words.'

 Thich Nhat Hanh

I started reading 'Going Home' this week and am already very moved by the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. I have read books by the Dalai Lama, they are what intrigued me to dig deeper into the Buddhist culture- I find their practices, manifestations, and beliefs to be really beautiful.
The practice of Mindfulness is one I am already trying to adopt. I think in our Western culture we have been conditioned to be more self absorbed, we don't always realize what is going on around us, and we miss moments that could be really beautiful because we just speed by. I am guilty of this just as much as anyone else and I want to stop living the blurred life and really enjoy the moments of every day.

Buddhist Monks spend a lot of time meditating on this, and unfortunately in my life I can't set enough time aside to ponder this for long- so every day I am trying to observe more and let those observations sink in and think about how those observations make me feel. This may seem like a primitive beginning to understanding and practicing Mindfulness but so far it is working for me!

-Yesterday I noticed the group of co-workers who walk together on their lunch breaks- and I was happy that they found a fun social way to be healthy together.
- When I get stuck in traffic on my commute, instead of huffing and puffing that my schedule has been delayed, I keep calm. If it turns out to be from an accident I say a little prayer for the people involved and feel more at peace that I know I didn't send negative energy their way.
- When I meet a new client at work, I remember we are both human and we communicate, feel, and react in similar ways. I can relate to this other human in some way, because we are all connected- it gives me a peaceful feeling that I know I can help, from one human to another.

These are just a few ways I have tried to practice Mindfulness over the last week- I hope it only gets better with time and that I find a deeper sense of understanding through it. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment